Havasupai 2025: 30 miles. 6000 feet of elevation changes. Bucket list, checked!
Kim decided this year of her 40th birthday that she wanted to have a crazy hard adventure even though she's still within a year of birthing Aiden. So she invited some people who have helped make her her throughout her life, from people she grew up with, to roommates, to PA cohort, to friends in places she's lived, etc. She worked on the plans for months, getting all the logistics in place, including getting the needed and hard-to-get permits, and I just had to show up. Well that and do research enough to plan the needed equipment, pay for stuff, freak myself out about what was coming, etc
But show up I did, we started in Vegas with a yummy tapas restaurant before heading down to the Halapui reservation an hour outside the hilltop trailhead, where I hit the hay hard because I hadn't slept great the night before because of the world. Waking really early, we headed to hilltop and began our 10-mile descent to the Havusupai town and campground at 730 am. Because we started so early, we were shaded most of the way and even though decent is hard on the knees, it was actually a beautiful pretty fluid hike. I did get ahead of the group and ended up taking one of the few wrong turns that you can take in a canyon and had to scramble down boulders for about a quarter of a mile, but it was quite fun so I'm kind of glad I got lost. Plus I had my bright neon jigawatts shirt on, so I was easy to find.
We arrived at the village at lunch time and grabbed some supplies, checked Internet, and then headed the few miles down to the campground proper. I got a fry bread at the top of Havasu falls and we soaked our tired feet in the gorgeous green water before settling in for the night.
Day 2 was Exploration day (still did about 10 miles though) but it was also Jetta's birthday so I walked back to town and caught the early morning birthday song. Yay! And was able to grab a hot breakfast sandwich. Mmmm. Back to the campground, everyone was ready to go exploring and we headed out to Mooney Falls. Mooney is the famous Instagram one. And I knew it was going to be tricky going down but it was insane. Like the vertical climbing with wet chains and wet footholds was the scariest thing we did. I had watched videos about going but no one videos the scariest part because they can't, you have to be completely focused so you don't die. But it was worth it. So gorgeous. I got out my tube and floated along until everyone was ready to go to Beaver Falls.
Now Beaver Falls, imo, isn't worth the hike. Still some scary ladders and just too long. But it was beautiful but if I were to do it again. I would just go to the green valley and stop at any of the pools and small waterfalls halfway there. Mooney is much more picturesque to hang out at most of the day. But it was fun and I enjoyed the walk mostly, talking and crossing the river over and over. Plus everyone we passed thought it was hilarious I brought a hello kitty tube to float on, and it was so relaxing to sit near the falls.
Once back at camp, since it has been a longer day then we wanted, we all just kind of just talked around the none fire (not allowed) and ate our mre-like food ( unless you are Joy Amanda Moverley, then actual MREs)or PB out of the jar until it got too late to see.
Day 3: I had decided to get up at 330 to start the hike out. Everything I read said people wished they had left earlier. And I just was treating it like a middle of the night Ragnar leg. Sherry was the only one who decided to join me and after breaking camp, I dropped off my big backpack to the mules and we set off at about 430. We got to the village at 530, too early for anything to be open but paused to check Internet and eat a bit of snacks before heading up the canyon. We stayed together for a some of it (Sherry was a beast since she had her full backpack so trekking with 40 plus pounds) but also had times we were just by ourselves. I was in one place where I sneezed my patented multiple sneezes and heard them echo up and down the canyon and paused to see if anyone was there to bless me but nope I was really alone. But it was beautiful in the pre-dawn and then dawn light. As the sun gorgeously rose, I began to chase it a bit hoping to beat it getting all the way to the ground. I made it about 8 miles before getting in full sun. But that full sun right as you start the hard ascent before the switchbacks was rough. Worst part of the hike for me. Had to just keep my feet going and going up. Walked past a Russian man who was just sitting there taking a smoke break. I was like, in my head, you need your full lungs for this!
And then the switchbacks were brutal but 65% shaded so not fun but I was also not wishing I could die. And 5.5 hours after I started, I ascended hilltop. I was so freaking proud of myself. Still am.
Five of us were now up so now we waited for the other 8 and our backpacks on the mules. And everyone and the packs didn't get there until about 2. But it was so good to see everyone get there safely. Especially in the full Arizona sun. Then we split and some of us headed home and a few of us headed to the Cosmopolitan for a night on the town, which for me met finally eati
ng at a version of momofuku (the little takeout one but still so good) and drinking lots of... water. Such good icy water. It was fun and after a nice hotel bath, I slept hard before waking early to catch the flight home.
ng at a version of momofuku (the little takeout one but still so good) and drinking lots of... water. Such good icy water. It was fun and after a nice hotel bath, I slept hard before waking early to catch the flight home.
What an adventure and for those who have done this, know what an accomplishment it truly is. I'm happy Kim got her birthday adventure filled with wonderful memories, loved hanging with great accomplished people including my awesome brother (who also loved the adventure, but was keyed into his supportive role) and again, so proud that I freaking did it. Go me.
























0 comments:
Post a Comment